One of the most fulfilling aspects of architectural practice is witnessing vision progress toward reality. Pendulum’s CEO Jonathan O’Neil Cole spent time on site this week reviewing construction progress with City of Gastonia staff. The project is currently on a trajectory for an on time completion January 2021.
The project experienced an additional boost with Brandon Bellamy, owner of the Velocity Companies announced as approved owner of the Gastonia, NC Atlantic League franchise.
Click Brandon’s name above for a link to the Baseball America official press release.
History was made…and it’s only the beginning.
- City of Gastonia, NC – Tenacity
- Brandon Bellamy – Fuel
- Jonathan Cole Sr. – Vision…
As sports across the globe are beginning to return, organizations at all levels of play are actively contemplating the right approach with an obvious default to caution. Pendulum’s Jonathan Cole is quoted in a recent article written by Joe Mock in USA Today Sports Weekly on the topic of seating bowls during the COVID era. Also quoted is Nick Sunderhaus, a national security expert and collaborator in Pendulum’s Part-Two release of “Public Assembly Post COVID19” .
As we continue our conversations with owners, operators, athletes, and fans, it is clear that there are still many unanswered questions, but we are seeing movement in the sports marketplace. NASCAR was the first sport in the USA to host fans at a large scale (30,000) and now we see college wood bat leagues including the Coastal Plain League and United Shores Professional Baseball League following suit in states that will allow it with up to 1,300 fans in attendance.
Part-Three of our five part series will address how the market is responding to change. Is design the answer? Stay tuned…
The Grill Nation Show featuring Jason Grill and Jonathan Cole will air on Saturday July 11, 2020 on KMBZ 980AM and on iTunes. In this clip Cole answers the question “what is your favorite stadium (that you didn’t work on) and why?” It is just a sneak peek of the full conversation that goes into detail about Pendulum’s history, inspirations, emotional muscle memory, and design methodology.
Be sure to tune in on Saturday…this will be a lot of fun!
Kansas City, Missouri, July 1, 2020
As founding principal, Jonathan O’Neil Cole has served as managing member and 51% owner of Pendulum, a Kansas City-based architecture firm, since its launch in 2007. As of July 1, 2020 Cole has acquired the remaining 49% balance of company shares and shall continue serving in his role as practice leader and CEO.
“I am honored to be in the position to continue to lead Pendulum in the direction of growth and innovation. While this acquisition is more of a formality, I do believe it will provide a great deal of clarity for our employees, collaborators, and past, present, and future clients. While there are very few things I’d change about our history, we’ve certainly got an extremely bright future ahead of us,” Cole said.
Founded in 2007 in Kansas City, Missouri, Pendulum has gained notoriety in the sports architecture marketplace with the design of thirteen built sports facilities and counting. Of recent note Pendulum teamed with Florida based Fawley Bryant Architecture to complete the design of Cool Today Park, spring training home of the Atlanta Braves. The completion of Cool Today Park in March of 2019 was quickly followed by the two firms being selected to design the renovation of Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium, spring training home of the Miami Marlins and St. Louis Cardinals. In addition to sports architecture Pendulum has developed a reputation for the design of unique Kansas City, Missouri commercial buildings including The Guild, RW/2 Studios, and Crosstown Substation.
About Jonathan O’Neil Cole, AIA, NCARB, NOMA
- 1990 – 1995 California Polytechnic University Pomona, Bachelor of Architecture
- 1995 HNTB Corporation – Irvine, CA – Design Staff Member
- 2001 HOK Sport S+V+E – Associate Staff Member
- 2006 360 Architecture – Architect/Market Leader
- 2007 Pendulum – Principal
- 2020 Rethinking The Future Awards – Future Stadia
- 2019 CSI Award, Innovative Design + Function – Wyco Vintage Broadway Kansas City, Missouri
- 2019 CSI Award, Visionary Design – Cool Today Park North Port, Florida
- 2018 CSI Award, Community Investment – The Corner Ballpark Detroit, Michigan
- 2018 CSI Award, Excellence in Craftsmanship – Dunkin’ Donuts Park Hartford, Connecticut
- 2018 Hartford Magazine Best Sports Venue – Dunkin’ Donuts Park Hartford, Connecticut
- 2018 Kansas City Business Journal Coolest Office Award – Pendulum Headquarters Kansas City, Missouri
- 2017 Ballpark Digest Best Ballpark Award – Dunkin’ Donuts Park Hartford, CT
- 2017 Baseballparks.com Ballpark of the Year – Dunkin’ Donuts Park Hartford, CT
- 2017 ACEC Michigan Engineering Eminent Connector Award – Jimmy John’s Field Utica, Michigan
- 2017 Phoenix Community Impact Award Excellence in Brownfield Redevelopment – Jimmy John’s Field Utica, Michigan
- 2017 IIDA Mid America Design Silver Award for Renovation & Restoration – Pendulum Headquarters Kansas City, Missouri
- 2017 NOMA Honor Award, Built Category – Dunkin’ Donuts Park Hartford, Connecticut
- 2016 Ballpark Digest Best Renovation – AutoZone Park Memphis, Tennessee
- 2014 EDC Cornerstone Award – Crosstown Substation Kansas City, Missouri
- 2013 NOMA Design Excellence Citation – RW/2 Studio & The Guild Kansas City, Missouri
- 2013 EDC Cornerstone Award for Residential Building – East Village Apartments Kansas City, Missouri
As we progress closer to the completion of the Fuse District Sports Complex scheduled to open in 2021, Our CEO pauses for a moment to look forward. We applaud the City of Gastonia, NC for their ability to “see the finish line before the race ever started.”
Thank you for your willingness to trust the process and collaborate with us on your personal version of the “Small Big Idea.”
Behr Productions – Original Music Score
City of Gastonia – Vision
May 18, 2020 was the 13th anniversary of the launch of Pendulum. Under normal circumstances we’d be gearing up for an amazing party with friends and close collaborators but these aren’t normal times with COVID-19 forcing the globe to proceed with caution.
Even though we can’t gather together in one place, our CEO Jonathan O’Neil Cole shared a few words about what this year means to him.
Many thanks to our staff, clients, close collaborators for fueling our ability to keep swinging.
Behr Productions – music score
Rethinking The Future announced the Winners of their RTF Awards 2020 on Tuesday, February 25, 2020, including Pendulum’s Sports and Recreation Project [Concept] entry, ‘Future Stadia‘. The conceptual design for the modular sports complex ranges in capacity from 3,000 seats to a total possible capacity of 10,000 seats. The design was created with the intent of targeting communities that desire to promote economic development with sport as the catalyst for growth.
Click image above to view our Project Image Gallery and video
Rethinking The Future Awards are one of the most renowned awards in the field of architecture and design in the world. The Rethinking The Future Awards program aims to bring exceptional works in the field of Architecture the prestige they deserve. The objective of these awards is to raise awareness around the strategies Architects and Designers are employing to deal with the contemporary global challenges, and to bring the best of such projects into the light to inspire the next generation.
About Rethinking The Future: RTF provides an interactive platform of the highest standard, acknowledging the projects amongst creative and influential industry professionals. Born out of the need to create ‘fresh perspectives’ on international trends in architecture and design, RTF is now a well-established platform that is the go-to platform for millions of people around the world. RTF stirs discussions on contemporary issues in the field of architecture and the radical approach required to deal with them.
Many thanks to our amazing team: Mickey Ahammed, Theresa Cole, John Iiams, Pat Ryan, and Michaela Simpson. Without talent, vision, and collaboration the Pendulum does not swing!