As architects we often spend a great deal of energy on projects that at the moment feel like the most important work we’ve ever done. We forget that although we have influence over design we have no control over political will, the economy, and most of all territorial rights and approvals. That being said, some of our best work gets locked away in the vault or collects dust on a shelf somewhere in the office.
Pendulum designed this ballpark with intensions for placement on the Expo 67 Island in Montreal Quebec Canada. At the time it felt like the one opportunity we’d have in a long time to aggressively stretch our design thinking – after all, the ballpark is surrounded by architectural icons.
Unfortunately the project came to a screeching halt. Ten years after the fact our CEO, Jonathan O’Neil Cole said he dreamt he attended an event at the facility….then he woke up with notes on required design adjustments…so that’s what we did.
We never stop thinking about how to make our projects better…As Jonathan always says: “Design Is Change”.
As founding principal, Jonathan O’Neil Cole has served as managing member and 51% owner of Pendulum, a Kansas City-based architecture firm, since its launch in 2007.As of July 1, 2020 Cole has acquired the remaining 49% balance of company shares and shall continue serving in his role as practice leader and CEO.
“I am honored to be in the position to continue to lead Pendulum in the direction of growth and innovation.While this acquisition is more of a formality, I do believe it will provide a great deal of clarity for our employees, collaborators, and past, present, and future clients.While there are very few things I’d change about our history, we’ve certainly got an extremely bright future ahead of us,” Cole said.
Founded in 2007 in Kansas City, Missouri, Pendulum has gained notoriety in the sports architecture marketplace with the design of thirteen built sports facilities and counting. Of recent note Pendulum teamed with Florida based Fawley Bryant Architecture to complete the design of Cool Today Park, spring training home of the Atlanta Braves. The completion of Cool Today Park in March of 2019 was quickly followed by the two firms being selected to design the renovation of Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium, spring training home of the Miami Marlins and St. Louis Cardinals.In addition to sports architecture Pendulum has developed a reputation for the design of unique Kansas City, Missouri commercial buildings including The Guild, RW/2 Studios, and Crosstown Substation.
About Jonathan O’Neil Cole, AIA, NCARB, NOMA
1990 – 1995 California Polytechnic University Pomona, Bachelor of Architecture
1995 HNTB Corporation – Irvine, CA – Design Staff Member
2001 HOK Sport S+V+E – Associate Staff Member
2006 360 Architecture – Architect/Market Leader
2007 Pendulum – Principal
2020 Rethinking The Future Awards – Future Stadia
2019 CSI Award, Innovative Design + Function – Wyco Vintage Broadway Kansas City, Missouri
2019 CSI Award, Visionary Design – Cool Today Park North Port, Florida
2018 CSI Award, Community Investment – The Corner Ballpark Detroit, Michigan
2018 CSI Award, Excellence in Craftsmanship – Dunkin’ Donuts Park Hartford, Connecticut
2018 Hartford Magazine Best Sports Venue – Dunkin’ Donuts Park Hartford, Connecticut
2018 Kansas City Business Journal Coolest Office Award – Pendulum Headquarters Kansas City, Missouri
2017 Ballpark Digest Best Ballpark Award – Dunkin’ Donuts Park Hartford, CT
2017 Baseballparks.com Ballpark of the Year – Dunkin’ Donuts Park Hartford, CT
2017 ACEC Michigan Engineering Eminent Connector Award – Jimmy John’s Field Utica, Michigan
2017 Phoenix Community Impact Award Excellence in Brownfield Redevelopment – Jimmy John’s Field Utica, Michigan
2017 IIDA Mid America Design Silver Award for Renovation & Restoration – Pendulum Headquarters Kansas City, Missouri
2017 NOMA Honor Award, Built Category – Dunkin’ Donuts Park Hartford, Connecticut
2016 Ballpark Digest Best Renovation – AutoZone Park Memphis, Tennessee
2014 EDC Cornerstone Award – Crosstown Substation Kansas City, Missouri
2013 NOMA Design Excellence Citation – RW/2 Studio & The Guild Kansas City, Missouri
2013 EDC Cornerstone Award for Residential Building – East Village Apartments Kansas City, Missouri
May 18, 2020 was the 13th anniversary of the launch of Pendulum. Under normal circumstances we’d be gearing up for an amazing party with friends and close collaborators but these aren’t normal times with COVID-19 forcing the globe to proceed with caution.
Even though we can’t gather together in one place, our CEO Jonathan O’Neil Cole shared a few words about what this year means to him.
Many thanks to our staff, clients, close collaborators for fueling our ability to keep swinging.