One of the most fulfilling aspects of architectural practice is witnessing vision progress toward reality. Pendulum’s CEO Jonathan O’Neil Cole spent time on site this week reviewing construction progress with City of Gastonia staff. The project is currently on a trajectory for an on time completion January 2021.
The project experienced an additional boost with Brandon Bellamy, owner of the Velocity Companies announced as approved owner of the Gastonia, NC Atlantic League franchise.
Click Brandon’s name above for a link to the Baseball America official press release.
History was made…and it’s only the beginning.
- City of Gastonia, NC – Tenacity
- Brandon Bellamy – Fuel
- Jonathan Cole Sr. – Vision…
The Grill Nation Show featuring Jason Grill and Jonathan Cole will air on Saturday July 11, 2020 on KMBZ 980AM and on iTunes. In this clip Cole answers the question “what is your favorite stadium (that you didn’t work on) and why?” It is just a sneak peek of the full conversation that goes into detail about Pendulum’s history, inspirations, emotional muscle memory, and design methodology.
Be sure to tune in on Saturday…this will be a lot of fun!
Kansas City, Missouri, July 1, 2020
As founding principal, Jonathan O’Neil Cole has served as managing member and 51% owner of Pendulum, a Kansas City-based architecture firm, since its launch in 2007. As of July 1, 2020 Cole has acquired the remaining 49% balance of company shares and shall continue serving in his role as practice leader and CEO.
“I am honored to be in the position to continue to lead Pendulum in the direction of growth and innovation. While this acquisition is more of a formality, I do believe it will provide a great deal of clarity for our employees, collaborators, and past, present, and future clients. While there are very few things I’d change about our history, we’ve certainly got an extremely bright future ahead of us,” Cole said.
Founded in 2007 in Kansas City, Missouri, Pendulum has gained notoriety in the sports architecture marketplace with the design of thirteen built sports facilities and counting. Of recent note Pendulum teamed with Florida based Fawley Bryant Architecture to complete the design of Cool Today Park, spring training home of the Atlanta Braves. The completion of Cool Today Park in March of 2019 was quickly followed by the two firms being selected to design the renovation of Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium, spring training home of the Miami Marlins and St. Louis Cardinals. In addition to sports architecture Pendulum has developed a reputation for the design of unique Kansas City, Missouri commercial buildings including The Guild, RW/2 Studios, and Crosstown Substation.
About Jonathan O’Neil Cole, AIA, NCARB, NOMA
- 1990 – 1995 California Polytechnic University Pomona, Bachelor of Architecture
- 1995 HNTB Corporation – Irvine, CA – Design Staff Member
- 2001 HOK Sport S+V+E – Associate Staff Member
- 2006 360 Architecture – Architect/Market Leader
- 2007 Pendulum – Principal
- 2020 Rethinking The Future Awards – Future Stadia
- 2019 CSI Award, Innovative Design + Function – Wyco Vintage Broadway Kansas City, Missouri
- 2019 CSI Award, Visionary Design – Cool Today Park North Port, Florida
- 2018 CSI Award, Community Investment – The Corner Ballpark Detroit, Michigan
- 2018 CSI Award, Excellence in Craftsmanship – Dunkin’ Donuts Park Hartford, Connecticut
- 2018 Hartford Magazine Best Sports Venue – Dunkin’ Donuts Park Hartford, Connecticut
- 2018 Kansas City Business Journal Coolest Office Award – Pendulum Headquarters Kansas City, Missouri
- 2017 Ballpark Digest Best Ballpark Award – Dunkin’ Donuts Park Hartford, CT
- 2017 Baseballparks.com Ballpark of the Year – Dunkin’ Donuts Park Hartford, CT
- 2017 ACEC Michigan Engineering Eminent Connector Award – Jimmy John’s Field Utica, Michigan
- 2017 Phoenix Community Impact Award Excellence in Brownfield Redevelopment – Jimmy John’s Field Utica, Michigan
- 2017 IIDA Mid America Design Silver Award for Renovation & Restoration – Pendulum Headquarters Kansas City, Missouri
- 2017 NOMA Honor Award, Built Category – Dunkin’ Donuts Park Hartford, Connecticut
- 2016 Ballpark Digest Best Renovation – AutoZone Park Memphis, Tennessee
- 2014 EDC Cornerstone Award – Crosstown Substation Kansas City, Missouri
- 2013 NOMA Design Excellence Citation – RW/2 Studio & The Guild Kansas City, Missouri
- 2013 EDC Cornerstone Award for Residential Building – East Village Apartments Kansas City, Missouri
May 18, 2020 was the 13th anniversary of the launch of Pendulum. Under normal circumstances we’d be gearing up for an amazing party with friends and close collaborators but these aren’t normal times with COVID-19 forcing the globe to proceed with caution.
Even though we can’t gather together in one place, our CEO Jonathan O’Neil Cole shared a few words about what this year means to him.
Many thanks to our staff, clients, close collaborators for fueling our ability to keep swinging.
Behr Productions – music score